2023 Spring Operations
- The Sheyenne River Diversion Flood Control Project provides the City of West Fargo with excellent protection from overland flooding in West Fargo.
- On April 3, 2023, the West Fargo City Commission approved an emergency declaration giving the City the ability to initiate appropriate actions in the unlikely case of flooding.
- Based on current conditions, the City is entering standard spring operations to manage the spring melt and prepare the City's infrastructure to ensure water is properly channeled throughout the system.
- Residents can take action by reporting any changes they have made to river banks to email@example.com, clearing storm drains and discharging sump pumps outside as soon as they are able.
- Sandbag Cass suspended operations because they met their goal of filling 200,000 sandbags in four days.
- In cooperation with Southeast Cass Water Resource District, the City of West Fargo closed the north and south Sheyenne River Diversion on April 18, 2023. All river flow north of I-94 is diverting around town.
- As of Monday, April 22, Sheyenne River levels are flowing at a rate that will allow continued normal spring melt operations. Crews are monitoring the river 24/7 and have equipment in place to address any issues that may arise.
- As of Monday, June 5, the City of West Fargo reopened the north and south Sheyenne River Diversion gates to resume normal river operations. Residents may notice the river begin to flow as water is redirected back through the city.
- In cooperation with the Southeast Cass Water Resource District, the City of West Fargo closed the north and south Sheyenne River Diversion on June 20, 2023. All river flow north of I-94 is diverting around town. This will be a short term closure due to the anticipated precipitation in the forecast and the water being released from Baldhill Dam. Public Works crews will continue to monitor the river water quality and make efforts to keep river waters from becoming stagnant.
(Update: June 20, 2023)
The Sheyenne River is one of the major tributaries of the Red River.
Learn about interior drainage, sump pumps, sandbagging and more.
Information for property owners along the Sheyenne River to form neighborhood watch groups to monitor the river berms.
Information about how to prepare to be self-sufficient during an emergency.